[Distutils] Skipping namespace file?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jan 6 22:05:47 CET 2007

At 03:46 PM 1/6/2007 -0500, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
>Sounds good, but I still am confused as to why there should not be a
>site-packages/dap/__init__.py in the installed lib area.  For this package
>there isn't too much in there, but some packages include things like
>version numbers and defaults in their __init__.py.

Yes, but then they shouldn't declare them (implicitly or explicitly) as
namespace packages.  A namespace package, by definition, is one whose sole
purpose is to provide a namespace for modules and subpackages.  It cannot
provide any contents of its own.

>   For dap, we would be leaving out the overview documentation for import
> dap;help(dap).  If the case really is that there should not be a
> dap/__init__.py, where do I tell the author of the package to move that
> documentation such that help(dap) will still provide as much info?

There isn't any such place, I'm afraid.  The alternative would be to use
some other package as a base for plugins and responses, e.g.
dap_ext.plugins and dap_ext.responses, so that 'dap' would not be a
namespace package itself.