[Distutils] setuptools: easy_install version option

Jochen Kupperschmidt yo.gi at web.de
Mon Jan 15 18:53:28 CET 2007

Hi,

I was wondering why there is no --version/-V option available for
easy_install to get the setuptools version currently installed (I would
welcome that option). Is there any specific reason for this or is there
an easier, "better" way to get that information? And by easier, I do not
mean digging into the site-packages directory or starting a Python
interactive shell and reading the `setuptools.__version__` attribute.

Also, the --help-commands option, as advertised by easy_install,
     Common commands: (see '--help-commands' for more)
is not recognized.

This was experienced with setuptools 0.6c5 and Python 2.5 on Windows XP.

Regards,
Jochen Kupperschmidt