[Distutils] Myghty.org down borked easy_install pylons

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 24 13:11:57 CET 2007

Originally posted to comp.lang.python...

    skip> I'm trying to easy_install pylons.  Alas:

    skip>     $ easy_install pylons
    skip>     Searching for pylons
    skip>     Best match: Pylons 0.9.4.1
    skip>     Processing Pylons-0.9.4.1-py2.5.egg
    skip>     Pylons 0.9.4.1 is already the active version in easy-install.pth

    skip>     Using /usr/local/mojam/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Pylons-0.9.4.1-py2.5.egg
    skip>     Processing dependencies for pylons
    skip>     Searching for Myghty>=1.1
    skip>     Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Myghty/
    skip>     Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Myghty/1.1
    skip>     Reading http://www.myghty.org
    skip>     error: Download error: (111, 'Connection refused')

    skip> Is it not able to get past this point because there is only one
    skip> source for Myghty or does it always need to go to a package's home
    skip> page?  I was able to work around this by manually downloading the
    skip> Myghty-1.1.tar.gz file and installing it.

to which Robert Kern responded:

    Robert> Asking on Distutils-SIG list will be more likely to get Phillip
    Robert> Eby's attention.  It surprises me that setuptools didn't pick up
    Robert> the tarball on the CheeseShop.

then later:

    Robert> Now that www.myghty.org is back up, I see that the CheeseShop
    Robert> tarball is picked up eventually. I believe that easy_install
    Robert> checks all of the various sources to try to find a best match
    Robert> (for some definition of "best"). Of course, I would consider it
    Robert> a bug that an exception raised while trying to fetch one
    Robert> possible source stops the entire process, particularly when a
    Robert> matching tarball has already been found.

So, Phillip, any thoughts on this?

Skip