[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Why so many zc.buildout versions?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 10 23:55:28 CEST 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 5:39 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> No, it will mitigate the current issue somewhat, but it will still
>> involve multiple requests per package, while a simpler index
>> structure would allow a single request per package.
>
> I don't understand. If setuptools would always look
> /pypi/package/version first, it would immediately find the right
> page if that version is indeed stored in the cheeseshop.
>
> Why would that require multiple requests per package?

It usually doesn't have a single required version.  It usually has
just a package name or a name and a range of versions.  It has to
scan the package page to find out what versions are available, and
*then* it can load the release page for the highest version that
satisfies the requirement.  It can usually read that one page,
however, there may be additional filtering needed that would cause it
to search multiple releases.  For example, it might be looking for a
source distribution, or a platform-specific distribution that isn't
available for the most recent release.  In any case, the best case is
that it has to scan the package page to find the most recent release,
and then scan that release page.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org