[Distutils] __init__.py getting left out of mpkg

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Mar 6 20:43:59 CET 2007

On 3/5/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 07:13 AM 3/5/2007 -0800, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> >On 3/5/07, Christopher Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have been using bdist_mpkg to build Mac distributions of Numpy,
> > Matplotlib
> > > and other scientific programming packages. However, when I use
> > bdist_mpkg to
> > > build  matplotlib, the resulting package is broken. In particular, I get:
> > >
> > > In [3]: import pylab
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > exceptions.ImportError                               Traceback (most recent
> > > call last)
> > >
> > > /Users/chris/<ipython console>
> > >

> > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pylab.py
> > > ----> 1 from matplotlib.pylab import *
> > >
> > > ImportError: No module named matplotlib.pylab
> > >
> > > Sure enough, when I look into the problem, it seems that the __init__.py
> > > file is being left out by distutils. If I install directly using setup.py,
> > > this does not occur.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >

> >I've never seen that happen before. Must be something funny matplotlib
> >is doing...
>
> When a namespace package is installed using a backward-compatibility mode,
> the __init__.py goes away, otherwise you'll have multiple packages
> installing it.  Is bdist_mpkg not including the .pth file that setuptools
> generates to handle this?

It should include whatever is generated. I don't recall the specifics,
and I don't really have time to look at it... but if someone can track
it down to some root cause or provide a patch then I'd see about
fixing it.

It's worked for pretty much everything I've thrown at it the past few
years. Setuptools probably throws a bit of a wrench into the mix, but
I see very little reason to bother with mpkg when there's an egg
available.

-bob