[Distutils] Buildout install command

Scott Robertson srobertson at codeit.com
Mon Mar 12 20:09:30 CET 2007

Ok slightly confused, (hope I'm not wasting your time with this  Jim)

I just checked that url you provided. There is no mention of the
"install" command, which I found by running buildout --help. Here's
the text:

Commands:

  install [parts]

    Install parts.  If no command arguments are given, then the parts
    definition from the configuration file is used.  Otherwise, the
    arguments specify the parts to be installed.

Interestingly (i.e. what confuses me)

If I run
$ buildout buildout:parts = part1

Part 1 is built and all of part1's dependencies.

However if I run

$ buildout install part1
Part 1 starts to build but in my case bombs because part 1's
dependencies aren't  built.

So as a new buildout user I'm confused about:
1. The purpose of the install command
2. Why it doesn't build dependencies.