[Distutils] restructured text formatting not present in generated MS Windows binary installer

Jim Vickroy Jim.Vickroy at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 15 21:13:32 CET 2007

Hello,

I have been unsuccessful in using restructured text formatting tags in
the long_description parameter for the distutils.core.setup function.

When the attached "setup" script (see GOES-13-SXI-processor-installer.py
attachment) is run from the command line as:

 > GOES-13-SXI-processor-installer.py clean bdist_wininst --title="FITS
Images Processor" --bitmap=GOES-13-SXI-Processor.bmp

the first panel of the generated win32 installer has no boldface text
(see installer.png attachment)

When I feed the long_description text to docutils/tools/rst2html.py, the
generated html is as expected.

My setup is:

Python 2.4.4 (#71, Oct 18 2006, 08:34:43) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
 >>> import docutils
 >>> docutils.__version__
'0.5'

on a MS Windows XP machine running service pack 2.

I am a new user of both distutils and docutils so any thoughts on what I
am doing incorrectly would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- jv