[Distutils] setuptools development cycle

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Oct 3 21:37:39 CEST 2007

At 01:12 PM 10/3/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>On Oct 3, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>At 10:26 AM 10/3/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>0.6 should be marked
>>>final.
>>
>>This is coming soon, but I want to finish some ez_setup
>>improvements first.  There will be a "known issues" list to cover
>>things like the incomplete/broken FTP support; I've given up on
>>trying to keep hacking it into 0.6.
>
>I wonder what "this" you are referring to.

"0.6 should be marked final."

>>>  Is it on the table to remove features from setuptools?
>>
>>Yes - and most are *already* removed from the 0.7 trunk.  That was
>>the main reason for the branch.
>
>I'm confused on a number of counts.  Is the 0.7 "trunk" the same as
>the setuptools trunk? Is there also a branch for 0.7?
>
>Is there a list of removed features somewhere? Do we get any input?

Yes, no, no, and maybe, respectively.  :)

>"Grand" is simply the impression I had.  The list of features  above
>is extensive though. Some of the items seem fairly big, or maybe I
>just can't tell what they are. Do you plan to try to get all of them
>into the next feature release?

They'll probably all appear over the course of a long string of
alphas.  I don't have a detailed implementation plan yet.

The current status of setuptools is basically this: my initial
creation was to scratch various distutils-related itches.  After OSAF
became my client, my distutils-related itches got a lot
bigger.  :)  OSAF funding got it to where it is today, but for all
practical purposes both mine and OSAF's itches are fairly-well
scratched, so I don't have much call to work on it these days -- I
spend more time *supporting* it than working on it.  And OSAF's goals
for the next year or so will likely not justify much in the way of
focused development.

So, unless I end up with other client(s) who have setuptools-related
needs, I'm unlikely to have much time available for setuptools
development in the next year.  I could probably knock out everything
but the biggest 0.7 features in a month, if that was all I had to
work on.  But the odds of that month being one of the next 12 on the
calendar seems slim right now.