[Distutils] buildout: building shared libraries and using them

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Thu Feb 7 15:49:31 CET 2008

Hi there,

we tend to build libxml2, libxslt and lxml in our buildouts together
(see below for the config). While building works without any problem,
when we use lxml (in tests for instance) the custom built shared
libraries are not used but the system libraries.

The zc.recipe.egg documentation is quite a bit missleading:

    rpath: A new-line separated list of directories to search for
dynamic libraries at run time.

Runtime is apparently referencing the compile time?

How could we use the built shared libraries? Should the scripts
buildout creates set those paths?

The buildout config:

recipe = zc.recipe.cmmi
url = http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libxml2/2.6/libxml2-2.6.26.tar.gz
extra_options = --without-python

recipe = zc.recipe.cmmi
url = http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libxslt/1.1/libxslt-1.1.16.tar.bz2
extra_options = --with-libxml-prefix=${buildout:directory}/parts/libxml2/

recipe = zc.recipe.egg:custom
egg = lxml
include-dirs = ${buildout:directory}/parts/libxml2/include/libxml2
library-dirs = ${buildout:directory}/parts/libxml2/lib
rpath = ${buildout:directory}/parts/libxml2/lib

Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891