[Distutils] [zc.buildout/egg-cache] .pyc files referencing temporary location?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 16 16:03:53 CEST 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Andreas Jung wrote:

> We have some reports from co-workers working with zc.buildout and an
> egg-cache where the .pyc files refer to temporary directories within
> the egg-cache (obviously the location where the files within the egg
> were unpacked and compiled) - something like that.
>
> P:\home\freyp\.buildout\eggs\tmp27l-TE\Products.LDAPUserFolder-2.5-
> py2.4.egg\Products\LDAPUserFolder\LDAPUserFolder.py"
>
> Is there some solution other than removing the .pyc files?

Not currently.

> The issue seems
> to be related to debugging Zope environments with WingIDE.

No, this is either a buildout, or possibly setuptools, issue having to
do with the way eggs get built.  There would be a similar issue with
downloaded eggs.  I plan to fix this at some point.

Note:

- This is important when using any debugger, since debuggers need to
be able to get at source files.  It would be nice if debuggers were
clever enough to get run-time file locations based on __file__, rather
than relying on file information stored in pyc files.

- This only matters if you use unzipped eggs. (I have no idea why
people use zipped eggs, since they are slower to import and generally
a pain. I plan to add a buildout option to unzip all eggs.)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation