[Distutils] upgrading buildout

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jul 28 17:57:56 CEST 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 11:42 AM, whit morriss wrote:

> I'm perhaps running buildout in a bit of unusual fashion (from my
> virtual env bin rather than the builds bin) and updated it recently
> from 1.0.2 to 1.1.0 to debug some issue folks were having with fresh
> checkouts of one of my builds (see previous message).
>
> I was suprised when all my zc.recipe.cmmi deps were recompiled. not
> a huge deal due to the unusual circumstances, but seemed avoidable.
>
> I realize my upgrade is dependent on my virtualenv setup and was
> wondering if there is some standard way to upgrade a build's
> buildout version while avoiding unnecessary rebuilding.

Buildout is very conservative about rebuilding things -- erring on the
side of rebuilding.  IOW, if in doubt, builout will rebuild a part.
When you upgrade buildout, it's possible that a change in buildout
will affect how a part is built, so upgrading generally results on
parts being rebuilt. There isn't currently a way to prevent this.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation