[Distutils] request: make versions which include svn revision numbers look the same with distutils and with setuptools

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Mar 4 18:28:43 CET 2008

Folks:

I'm trying to get the Nevow project to accept a patch [1] that makes
it easier to use Nevow with setuptools, even though the maintainers
of Nevow passionately hate setuptools.

In such a situation, any tiny unnecessary difference between
distutils behavior and setuptools behavior is another grain of sand
in the gears.

So with the patch that I've offered to Nevow, if you run "./setup.py
sdist" without setuptools installed, you get:

Nevow-0.9.31+r15049.tar.gz

and if you run "./setup.py sdist" with setuptools installed, you get:

Nevow-0.9.31-r15049.tar.gz

Why are the version numbers different?  I personally prefer the '-'
instead of the '+' in the version number, and I would be happy if
distutils in Python 2.4.5 used '-'.  However, unless the distutils is
going to start using '-', then I suggest that setuptools v0.6 final
also use '+', so that there is one less thing that is different.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://www.divmod.org/trac/ticket/2527