[Distutils] setuptools/buildout: why only one index server configurable

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:54:31 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
> On 26.11.2008 8:33 Uhr, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Andreas Jung<lists at zopyx.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> in buildout I can define only one alternative index server using 'index =
>>> http://pypi.zopyx.com'. Now we are in the situation where we are running
>>> two
>>> internal index servers (one for our own internal packages and one PyPI
>>> mirror). Is there some reason for this limitation? I assume this is a
>>> limitation/feature coming from setuptools?
>>
>> Yes it is.  That is exactly where setuptools needs to evolve.
>>
>> For the record: I have asked for that a few months ago, and Jim said
>> he wanted to  stick with setuptools.
>>
>> So proposed a patch in setuptools to be able to merge several indexes,
>> (see http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue32)
>>
>> But it hasn't been reviewed yet.
>
> I think this is a very helpful patch. We would appreciate it if the patch
> could make it into the next setuptools release asap.

I made an assumption to use -i but I don't know if it would be better
to have a new argument for it.
Besides, this index merging thing would be helpful for merging
*different* sources

for mirrors, I think we need something specific : a fail-over
mechanism over a list of mirrors for
a given pypi-like server, with a "nearest mirror picked" feature (see
my blob + pep 374 on python wiki)

Regards
Tarek

--