[Distutils] Msgfmt in distutils?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 01:28:09 CEST 2008

Philip Jenvey wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Actually with Babel (http://babel.edgewall.org/) that's all handled.
>>>
>> That's good to know.  One of our Turbogears applications uses Babel and
>> it definitely doesn't install to the right place.  I'd love to fix it to
>> take advantage of Babel' properly.  Would you be kind enough to point me
>> documentation on how to get Babel to install locale files?  Looking at
>> the babel website, I only see documentation up to building the message
>> catalogs.  If the install portion is integrated into setuptools is there
>> something I might have to configure in setup() to tell babel/setuptools
>> what directory to use?
>
> Once you have Babel generating .mo files, all you'll need is a
> package_data entry for them, e.g.:
>
>     package_data={'foo': ['i18n/*/LC_MESSAGES/*.mo']},
>
> then the catalogs will make it into the final sdist/egg and be included
> during an installation.

Thanks!  This isn't quite what I was asking, though.  the orignal poster
was asking how to install the catalogs into /usr/share/locale, the
proper directory on a Linux system.  I thouoght babel was able to do
that but it seems babel currently just handles the creation and
maintenance of the message catalogs.  Which is a huge thing!  I just was
hoping to get rid of my ugly code to move the catalogs into the system
directory.

-Toshio