[Distutils] Plugins for the MANIFEST file

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:47:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 20:18, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> If anyone wants to work on it, or comment,

Some comments:

> "MANIFEST.in is fine"

Except that it introduces Yet Another Domain Specific Language. Wtf
does "prune" mean? It's not obvious. The docs indicate that it
actually excludes, but why it's not called "exclude" is then strange.
We already have a language, Python. We don't need more. ;-)

And the fact that is uses a separate file doesn't help.

Yes, I know I'm just whining. But I don't agree that MANIFEST.in is
fine. I think it is unfine. :)

> Like Bill, he is unable to launch the sdist command because he will probably get a incomplete list of files.

Not if the default is all files except well known temporary files. He
might get more files than desired, though.

--
Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/