[Distutils] Buildout recipe for managing .deb packages?

Kent Tenney ktenney at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 15:11:16 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Benji York wrote:
>>
>> [install-some-debs]
>> recipe = iw.recipe.cmd
>> on_install = true
>> on_update = true
>> cmds = apt-get install ...
>
> If I understand the OP, he's deploying on debian and wants to be able to do:
>
> bin/buildout
>
> ...to set up a whole machine.

Right.

> I love that idea, and in that case, I'd want a recipe that looked like:
>
> [debian-packages]
> recipe = ...recipe.aptitude
> packages =
>  logwatch
>  postfix
>  subversion
>
> ...which would basically do:
>
> sudo aptitude install
>
> ...for each package in the list.

and
$ sudo aptitude remove

if a package is removed from the list.

I want buildout.cfg to be `executable documentation`, a place
to remember details in a helpful way.

> Have I missed something?
> If not, lemme know when the recipe is written ;-)

I appreciate the encouragement.

I've gotten several suggestions, I like the stdeb approach
but it adds another learning curve.

I think I'll copy iw.recipe.cmd to recipe.aptitude, change the
`cmds` option to `packages` and monkey with that.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Kent