[Distutils] The problem with Setuptools on Python 3.

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Apr 21 07:32:04 CEST 2009

Hi Lennart,

Sorry for my late posting...

I'm working on a gui python package manager on sourceforge...

> Executive summary:
> I have catch 22 problems in finishing the setuptools port to Python 3,
> and unless somebody can come up with alternatives, I may rip out
> setuptools dependency on itself completely, and only depend on
> distutils.

It's not easy I agree...

I am a GUI junky myself... :-) I don't use chainsaw (code) unless i need to

I'm trying out all the installers on one machine...

einstaller won't install because I already installed setuptools....

ez_installer won't de-install setuptools...

pip doesn't want to go on either...

I will figure it out... I am sympathising saying this package stuff
is hard going....

> I don't have a good solution to this, unless we can drop setuptools
> dependency on setuptools completely, and just use plain distutils for
> installing and testing setuptools. This will mean no more setuptools
> source eggs, but then I don't see the purpose of those, really.
> Arguments for not doing this and alternative solutions are highly
> welcome.

:-)

me too