[Distutils] Location of Packages... The Directory location, plus Documentation and Examples within a system ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 10:42:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:49 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Once a package is installed on a system... is there any way to find out
> where it was installed to?

Not at the moment. PEP 376 though, proposes a new API to be able to reach
the metadata of an installed package, browsing the directories from the PATH
(that's how setuptools does)

> I am looking for both metadata and a directory name/path.
>
> In my Package Manager GUI, I want to be able to "reveal" all the
> hidden "goodies" that seem to dissapear into the subsystem.
>
> Either "Documentation" or "Demos"
>
> Here is an example....
>
> C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32\Demos
>
> or
>
> C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32com\HTML
>
> Under Linux, it would be just as valuable. If not more.

There's no explicit way at distutils level to point things like documentation,
maybe that could be a metadata.

Maybe you can propose this, by commenting ths page :

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Metadata

Regards
TArek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org