[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 2 04:38:20 CET 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> Instead, you're being asked only to determine which category a file
> belongs to; and those categories are (modulo some historical quirks,
> due to David's obvious strong preference for the C-language-focussed
> ‘autoconf’) mostly about the *purpose* of a file — precisely to allow
> that determination to be made without the same person needing to know
> about install locations.

Just to be clear: I don't have a strong preference for autoconf, and do
not intend to push for it - it is just that it is a de-facto standard,
and much more flexible than distutils in that aspect. It does not mean
we have to do like autoconf - but if we don't, it should be justified,
instead of implementing again something from scratch which does not work.

NIH syndrome and all that, if you want :)

cheers,

David