[Distutils] [issue57] develop doesn't create .pth files and site.py if --multi-version

Zooko O'Whielacronx setuptools at bugs.python.org
Tue Jan 20 20:00:54 CET 2009

New submission from Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com>:

The allmydata.org tahoe-lafs project uses "./setup.py develop" to build.  We
have started having problems with older versions of dependencies already being
installed, so we want to add "--multi-version" to the "./setup.py develop"
command, but when we do some parts of our build system break.  Investigation
shows that the only difference in the resulting filesystem between "setup.py
develop --multi-version --prefix=support", as shown here:

and "setup.py develop --prefix=support", as shown here:

Is that in the former case, the "easy-install.pth", "setuptools.pth", and
"site.py" files are not created in the target directory "support".  Is this

Without those files, the subsequent attempt to use pkg_resources (which is
installed as an install_requirement) fails:

messages: 228
nosy: zooko
priority: bug
status: unread
title: develop doesn't create .pth files and site.py if --multi-version

Setuptools tracker <setuptools at bugs.python.org>