[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jan 28 20:02:43 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> David 2.  entry_points doesn't work when the svn checkout is just in
> PYTHONPATH or ".", and fails if there is a non-existent directory on his

Probably this is because the package isn't activated, and if it's not
activated you can't see its entry point.  When a .pth file is on PYTHONPATH,
Python won't load it up (it only loads .pth files in some specific
locations).  So while easy-install.pth would normally activate a package (by
adding it to sys.path), with PYTHONPATH that doesn't work.

I think the site.py that Setuptools will sometimes create is intended to
address this, but it might not always work.

Or there might be some entirely different problem I'm unaware of.

Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org