[Distutils] "setup.py needs to go away" (was [PEP 376] - Open questions on python-dev)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sat Jul 11 13:54:11 CEST 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:25:10 -0400, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> Well, I think it's still better asked over on web-sig, as I don't
> *think* it's primarily a packaging question.  I'll try to make a more
> packaging-centric reply here. A major problem with the low cost
> providers is that you don't get a shell prompt, so you can't use any
> packaging tools.  More importantly, you can't run long-running
> processes.

Thanks. That's very informative and confirmed my suspicions.

So making an observation (which somebody will shoot me soon for haha) from
a packaging perspective, setuptools and perphaps distutils themselves have
some way to go to really adapt themselves to running from within
the popular web environments of today.

More succinctly.. we can't use distutils/setuptools in a gui or a
web environment out of the box.

Being a prehistoric myself.. I don't have a problem with that.

But for the future, it might be present issues..

David