[Distutils] [distribute] Python 3 support checked in, and fucked everything up.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:49:59 CEST 2009

2009/7/18 Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu>:
> From what I can tell, using named branches seems to be considered
> advanced and unusual in Mercurial. There's no need to give different
> heads names at all and using entirely different clones seems more
> usual. It's just those pesky SVN converts, which are so used to using
> branches.

OK, so no 0.8 branch, I will make a python3 clone.

> Yes. Please don't try to strip anything. Just because you seem to be
> able to do this, doesn't make this a good idea.

I think it's an excellent idea, because in this case I've checked in
two branches that should not exist. Those changes should be undone.

> How often did you manually alter SVN repositories to erase some part
> of their history?

Never, because I don't need to. Once I've undone the mistake, it's not
there anymore.

> It's for the rare case where highly confidential
> information leaked or otherwise extreme cases - not for beautifying
> the log. Learn to live with your mistakes ;-)

I can live with them, but why should everyone else have to?

Those branches should go. The checkins I did was misguided based on
the idea that branches in Mercurial are useful. That was wrong.
Removing those branches is without problems, as long as nobody else
has checked them out today (and as far as I know, that's only you,
Hanno), and then makes a commit from them later.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64