[Distutils] Fork mess

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Sun Jul 19 21:50:34 CEST 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:13:25 -0700, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2009/7/19 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
>> I'm actually kind of hoping that if I make Discovery nice enough,
>> somebody
>> else will refactor setuptools to use it.  ;-)  (Or just replace
>> setuptools
>> with something better.)
> We hope that too. But we don't think Discovery will be nice enough if
> only you work on it. That is after all the greatness of open source:
> It enables people from all around the world cooperate to make
> something much greater than each one can create by himself. We can
> sure use your experience, insight and help. And you can use our work
> time. Discovery can become way greater if we work together instead of
> each by ourself.

+1

I'm already sensing some vague inconvenience .. distutils, setuptools,
Distribute, Discovery??? Too much for a language that boasts about having
only one obvious way to do it.

Is it not sensible to combine the efforts put into Distribute and
Discovery? Call Discovery 'Distribute 2.0' (future work) while we work on
stabilizing setuptools as Distribute 1.0?

If it was me - I'd certainly do it and that wouldn't jeopardize the
potential fun involved.

-srid