[Distutils] setuptools: can I specify different install_requires for different python versions?

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Thu Jul 30 21:28:32 CEST 2009

On Jul 28, 1:00 pm, "P.J. Eby" <p... at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> Please note that *future* fixes won't help the person who asked what
> to do right now.

As long as we're on the topic of *future* fixes that provide no help
what so ever for the OP ...

... It would be nice if the python standard library was packaged up
into a set of distributions in some sensible way. These distributions
would still be pulled into main Python release so that they are
installed the same as they always have, but the [python-install]/lib/
python/ directory would contain .egg-info files, so that it would be
possible to tell that the 'multiprocessing' distro is supplied by the
standard lib, and what version of the distro is included in a
particular Python release.

Then it would no longer be necessary to use hacks to require
'multiprocessing' for older versions of python, but not newer
versions, even though newer versions of python have the distro
included them, but it's now an invisible distro without a version
number, undetectable to any package installation tools.