[Distutils] setuptools: can I specify different install_requires for different python versions?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Jul 31 00:00:04 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Kevin Teague<kevin at bud.ca> wrote:
> ... It would be nice if the python standard library was packaged up
> into a set of distributions in some sensible way. These distributions
> would still be pulled into main Python release so that they are
> installed the same as they always have, but the [python-install]/lib/
> python/ directory would contain .egg-info files, so that it would be
> possible to tell that the 'multiprocessing' distro is supplied by the
> standard lib, and what version of the distro is included in a
> particular Python release.

This is done for ElementTree (and maybe a couple other things?), but I
agree, it would be great for every new addition to the standard
library.

It would be possible to create a script that did this for existing
Python installations.  Necessary in a sense, because 2.6.0
installations can't be changed (along with every other old
installation), and dealing with older versions is the entire point of
such an exercise.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker