[Distutils] PEP 376 up-to-date

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 04:26:06 CEST 2009

I have reworked the APIs,

see http://bitbucket.org/tarek/pep376/src/tip/pkgutil.py

Now there's an EggInfoDirectory collection, that contains EggInfo
instances, and an EggInfoDirectories that contains EggInfoDirectory
instances.

While there's a global instance for the EggInfoDirectories class, it
doesn't load the sys.path implictely like setuptools does with its
master working set. This is done only if one of the global function is used.

One more thing:

2009/5/26 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> * Project name normalization and case insensitive comparison is still not
> implemented
>
> * File path normalization (absolutizing, case-normalization,
> de-cross-platforming, etc.) is not implemented

The only thing done here is:

- the egg_info_dirname APIs, which returns the egg-info directory name
of a project.
- the de-cross-platforming and absolutizing done in the EggInfo class
when you use its methods

I can see the need of more APIs in the egg_info and install_egg_info
commands, but I don't
see what else would be required in pkgutil

> (At this point, I have only briefly skimmed the updated PEP; I'll take a
> closer look at it once the API/implementation gets more settled.)

ok then: I didn't update the PEP yet to reflect the code: I'll do it
once we all find the API more settled

Tarek