[Distutils] Mutual recursion between setuptools and distutils with Python 2.7

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 18:09:20 CEST 2009

2009/6/1 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> Note that I've previously blessed Jim Fulton, although I suspect that he
> doesn't fall in the "have time to spend on it" category.  To date, he's the
> only person who's shown a really deep understanding of the codebase and
> requirements, although Ian Bicking would probably be a close second.
>
> This is not to say that there isn't anyone else who fits those criteria,
> just that I haven't had a chance to see that understanding in action.  For
> example, Philip Jenvey has produced some good patches, but they've all been
> specific to Jython issues so it's hard to tell how broad his understanding
> is.

This is an awkward situation.

So if  you, Jim or Ian don't have the time to apply patches and do releases,
and if no one else on earth can do that job, based on your criteria,
what is going to happen exactly ?

Are you planning to work in setuptools code yourself anymore or not ?

When Python 2.7 and Python 3.1 are out, setuptools will not work anymore
unless something happen. It's a software on the top on distutils, it
should evolve with it.

Don't take it personally but I am really angry about the current situation,
I feel like we are all trapped in something here.