[Distutils] Distutils functionality questions/clarifications...

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Jun 3 09:40:55 CEST 2009

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:55:26 +0200, Ronald Oussoren
<ronaldoussoren at mac.com>
wrote:
>> in a nutshell though.. whats wrong with eggs as far as pywin32
>> is concerned?
>
> The aren't shown in the Add/Remove programs menu.

Oh - you don't have a python package manager... that's all... :-(

Technically though, they shouldn't be displayed in the operating system
application list because they aren't technically "Programs". Rather, they
are just packages of a programming language... therefore.. if you like
subprograms.

I agree - there should be a list where they can be added and removed.

That's exactly what I'm working on now..

> The same discussion
> can be had about eggs vs. rpms on Linux, and having a package that is
> recognized by the operating system package manager is very useful when
> managing a system.  Having all software managed by the same package
> manager makes live a lot easier when you need to inventory what
> software is installed on a system, and during upgrades.

Totally agree.

>> ... ..
> Why is that? Would bdist_msi help improve on that?

Nope. For all the above reasons...

David