[Distutils] Distutils functionality questions/clarifications...

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:33:46 CEST 2009

2009/6/3 David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net>:
> Oh - you don't have a python package manager... that's all... :-(

And until someone produces one, there's no point in comparing what we
have with vapourware.

> Technically though, they shouldn't be displayed in the operating system
> application list because they aren't technically "Programs".

Your opinion. Mine is different. I doubt either of us know Microsoft's
opinion on the matter. (But OS patches aren't "programs" either, and
they are in there, albeit hidden by default)

*If* there was an existing "python package manager", it is possible
that it would provide compelling enough features to convince me to
change my mind. Build it and I'll tell you. Hey, build even some of it
and I'll comment on what you have (as long as I can use it alongside
bdist_wininst installers - I won't change my existing setup just to
test your alternative, sorry).

Paul.