[Distutils] PEP 345, PEP 376, PEP 386

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:26:35 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 12:57:12PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Brian Sutherland
> <brian at vanguardistas.net> wrote:
> >>   - http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/pep-0386.txt
> >
> >    ...  < V('1.0.dev456')
> >    ...  < V('1.0')
> >    ...  < V('1.0.dev456post623')
> >
> > Looks like a typo or very un-intuitive. It doesn't seem right that a
> > "dev" version sorts after a full release.
>
> This is a dev version of a post-release version. Which is an edge case
> submitted by Phillip.
>
> How would you write it ?

1.0.post623dev456 is what feels intuitive to me, here's my version of
the last few lines:

...  < V('1.0')
...  < V('1.0.post456dev623')
...  < V('1.0.post456'))

It would even feel more consistent if it was 1.0.port456.dev623

Frankly I don't really understand the post-release requirement (and
the PEP text doesn't help me out there, no explenation of what it is).

If it's like a pre-relase version (alpha, beta, release candidate aka
a, b and c) then I imagine it's a preview release of a bugfix release.
So if you start with 1.0, then discover bugs so need a 1.0.1 but want
to do a preview of that the PEP seems to suggest 1.0.post0, however I
would call it 1.0.1a.  I guess both will sort correctly according to
the PEP so the PEP doesn't care which method you use.  Still find it
confusing tough.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom