[Distutils] PEP 345, PEP 376, PEP 386

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:02:10 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is a dev version of a post-release version. Which is an edge case
>> submitted by Phillip.
>>
>> How would you write it ?
>
> 1.0.post623dev456 is what feels intuitive to me, here's my version of
> the last few lines:
>
> ...  < V('1.0')
> ...  < V('1.0.post456dev623')
> ...  < V('1.0.post456'))
>
> It would even feel more consistent if it was 1.0.port456.dev623

Sounds reasonable, I'll try something in the prototype, and submit it here

> Frankly I don't really understand the post-release requirement (and
> the PEP text doesn't help me out there, no explenation of what it is).

Being able to create development releases versions before a post-release
Phillip Eby came with this use case, you should find the original
message in the ML somewhere.

I'll try to make it clearer in the PEP.  Notice that I never had this
use case myself,

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org