[Distutils] PEP 345, PEP 376, PEP 386

Trent Mick trentm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:41:07 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
> <floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is a dev version of a post-release version. Which is an edge case
> >> submitted by Phillip.
> >>
> >> How would you write it ?
> >
> > 1.0.post623dev456 is what feels intuitive to me, here's my version of
> > the last few lines:
> >
> > ...  < V('1.0')
> > ...  < V('1.0.post456dev623')
> > ...  < V('1.0.post456'))
> >
> > It would even feel more consistent if it was 1.0.port456.dev623
>
> Sounds reasonable, I'll try something in the prototype, and submit it here

I don't want to whack a dead horse, but when Philip brought up the "dev
release of a post release" I asked for a concrete real-world example. I
didn't get a response to that email. Do other people see a need for this?
My understanding from the PyCon discussions was that the "postNNN" marker
was the equivalent of the "devNNN" marker, but for projects that don't
immediately increment the leading version numbers after a release.

Can people point to some examples of projects using post-release tags, and
that would require the use of a "dev release of a post release"? If there
are real examples, those would also help in explaining the motivation for
this in the versioning scheme in the PEP.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
trentm at gmail.com