[Distutils] PEP 345, PEP 376, PEP 386

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Thu Jun 4 15:41:32 CEST 2009

2009/6/4 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Brian Sutherland
> <brian at vanguardistas.net> wrote:
>>
>> So, with setuptools I was running this while building a package:
>>
>>    python2.X setup,py install --single-version-externally-managed
>> --root=debian/$(package) --install-data=usr/lib/$(package)
>>
>> So, now I would need to run this:
>>
>>    python2.X setup,py install --root=debian/$(package)
>> --install-data=usr/lib/$(package) --installer
>> 7e2fccc88b1f74aeee3d37340e8183ed
>>
>> And that would cause distutils to refuse to uninstall that package by default?
>
> something like that,
>
> but it would be even simpler :  the installer option would be
> automatically added by setuptools
> when the 'install' command is called, with setuptools md5 marker.
> (since setuptools has its own install command)
>
> That said, maybe setuptools would decide to rely on distutils for
> uninstallation if its installation turns to be compatible
> with distutils'one , and not provide its own marker when you manually
> call 'install' like you showed.

Ok, so then in this situation the --single-version-externally-managed
setuptools option could tell distutils to use a non-distutils marker
while the default distutils marker is used when this option is not
present.

> And easy_install would have its own marker maybe, if the way it
> installs stuff slighlty differs

ok, seems reasonable:)

Perhaps the --installer option take a string (like "dpkg") and convert
that to an md5 sum?