[Distutils] Comparison semantics for alphanumeric components of a version number

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jun 8 02:53:46 CEST 2009

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think "someone said they need it" is sufficient justification
> by itself. I'm not trying to criticise the work done at PyCon, but I
> think the discussions (and not just the conclusions) need to be
> publicised better.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking for. Before making it more complex
than it apparently needs to be, the justifications need to be subjected
to public scrutiny and, if they don't survive, discarded.

That doesn't pre-judge the outcome of such scrutiny: precisely the
opposite, I *don't* want such additional complexity pre-judged as
acceptable.

--
 \      “I am too firm in my consciousness of the marvelous to be ever |
  `\       fascinated by the mere supernatural …” —Joseph Conrad, _The |