[Distutils] Comparison semantics for alphanumeric components of a version number

Trent Mick trentm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 09:50:39 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Paul Moore<p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/6 Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net>:
>> Paul Moore schrieb:
>>> And yet, in spite of repeated requests for specific examples of
>>> projects using this post-dev stuff, which haven't been forthcoming,
>>> why is nobody saying "it's an unnecessary complication, we'll drop
>>> it"?
>>
>> Not everybody is on this list.  At the discussion at PyCon, one participant
>> (IIRC it was Zooko) specifically asked for this option to be included.
>
> FWIW, Zooko is on the list. If it wasn't him, someone who knows who it
> was needs to ask them to supply their justification for the list -
> given that there are a number of objections being raised here which
> need to be addressed.

Yes, my memory as well is that it was Zooko. IIRC, at the time I asked
for an example of a project that used "post-releases" [^1] and the
example was Twisted.

I tried to look at the details of how Twisted's versioning works a
little bit (I'm not a Twisted developer), but before I discuss that a
little bit I think I should cover my understanding of why ".dev" and
".post" were deemed useful at the time.

(/me writes for too long). I'll send a separate email mostly
attempting to give my recollections of the Pycon discussions in answer
to:

[Paul Moore]
> I'm not trying to criticise the work done at PyCon, but I
> think the discussions (and not just the conclusions) need to be
> publicised better.

My email only covers up (but excluding) the ".dev" and ".post" parts
of the version scheme. I'll try to get to the those tomorrow night.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
trentm at gmail.com