[Distutils] RFC : PEP 376 - egg.info

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:12:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 05:54:59PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> 2009/5/4 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> > At 05:23 PM 5/4/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> >>
> >> There's another point I was thinking about in PEP 376
> >>
> >> What about dropping the 'egg' part in 'PROJECT.egg-info'  ? and replace it
> >> with
> >>
> >> 'PROJECT.info'
> >>
> >> (and make the 2.7 version compatible with PROJECT.egg-info )
> >>
> >> I know it's a minor change,
> >
> > Actually, it's a major change, since it means dropping backward
> > compatibility with existing tools.
>
> well if Distutils 2.7 / 3.1 keeps backward compatibility like I said,
> that would give 3 years for existing
> tools to change..
>
> But what about the idea ?

How can we be sure that we won't want to change it again in the
future?  As for PROJECT.info, that still doesn't say that the .info
directory describes a project to me.  Not that I like .egg-info, but I
guess PJE's argument that it is a major change is valid and just .info
isn't quite better enough for me to justify the pain (i.e. the name
doesn't sound so right that no one will ever want to change it again).

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom