[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Nov 7 16:56:17 CET 2009

Am 07.11.09 16:37, schrieb Tarek Ziadé:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
> [..]
>
>>  - supports too much different versioning schemas. Both
>>   schema supported by setuptools and the one proposed
>>   by Tarek in some PEP are totally over-engineered.
>>   A simple and *enforced* versioning schema is what
>>   I want to see.
>>
> Unfortunately, as long as we have release candidates, and development versions,
> we need a more complex scheme that MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO.

Do we need/want development on PyPI? At least not me.

MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO.PICO + |a-c]1..N

should be good enough.

> Last, we can encourage people to use it, but we can't enforced it:

Of course we can..
> I know people that are happily using dates for their versions, and we
> can't forbid
> them to push their work on pypi just because of that.

..one must not accept and support a whole zoo of private numbering
schemes. Agree on a common and minimal standard and enforce
the standard.
> We can try to educate then, but that's their pick at the end I think.

Teaching is a good thing...
> An enterprise PyPI could do enforce it, but not our community PyPI imho

"community" does not imply that we can not agree on certain rules and
standards
for PyPI - otherwise PyPI remains as it sometimes appears - an unflashed
package toilet. Python as a quality programming language needs a package
repository with some minimum standards - I completely disagree with
"community"
as a synonym for "we must make everyone happy".

Andreas