[Distutils] Distutils and Distribute roadmap (and some words on Virtualenv, Pip)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Fri Oct 30 00:15:23 CET 2009

Antonio,

I completely get what you're saying.

Anyway, we shouldn't be considering dropping bdist_wininst installers
for windows unless we actually have something viable to replace them
with.

As much as I don't think they are the ideal solution, I'd hate to
think about having to to package installation on windows without them.

So from a pure practical point.. I totally agree with what you're
saying..

David

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:44:03 +0000, "A. Cavallo" <a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> If it goes away I have to discourage use of python because in no case a
> language specific way to install things will ever replace the platform
> standardised way.
>
> I'll give you an anecdotal example: I worked in a company developing
> systems
> for an extremely larger one. Our software needn't any installer: just
unzip

> the thing and start to using it. Simple? You bet it cannot be any easier
> than
> that.....
> One of the contractual requirements was about providing an "installer"
for
> windows: no matter how easy it was to deploy the thing.
>
> This makes sense because their way to manage systems has been
standardised
> in
> that way (the windows way, like it or hate it): no matter how clever our
> system was, it was extremely expensive to them doing it in "our" way.
>

>> In all seriousness, a bdist_wininst installer would be ok for installing
>> a python application, but the support for applications in distutils for
>> windows is incomplete.
>
> It is just enough to allow people to work: dependencies are handled
> manually
> and this goes in a project requirement document. An exception on a
missing
> module it is just fine to give a hint about what is missing and trigger a
> user
> action.
>

>> .egg files are perfect for windows. But the neccessary python support
>> to make them work properly isn't complete either.
>> What I am referring to here, is the shell extensions to the registry
>> to make them load automatically.
>> It would be so nice if we could double click on an egg file on pypi,
>> download it, and install it automatically.
>> I can't think of anything simpler. That would be proper native windows
>> support.
>
> I disagree here and reinventing a package/dependencies manager to compete
> with
> cpan and rpm/dpkg/yum/zypper/synaptic/windows installers ... thanks no I
> don't
> feel any need for it.
>
> Ever heard of SuSE one click installer? It does exactly this for rpms.
> In windows clicking on a web link with an *.exe trigger the action you're
> just
> asking for already: no need to support another language-specific layer.
>

>> We would only have to add one script to distutils and a few registry
>> settings for this could be accomplished. It could be progressively
>> rolled out with new python versions.
>
> Sure and imagine a company stretching across three continents with
hundred
> developers and many more users and slightly different settings/python
> versions: do you think anything like this will ever work in real life?
How