[Distutils] setup.cfg new format proposal

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Sep 17 04:01:20 CEST 2009

At 08:10 PM 9/16/2009 -0400, David Lyon wrote:
>To answer the question, things like destination directory for
>applications could change ie /opt/myapp or \Program Files\myapp
>for linux and windows respectively.

It's not the application's business what the installation directory
is; certainly it's not an issue for the "static metadata" use case,
nor is it something that should be specified in setup.py or
setup.cfg, as that is 100% the user's business to choose, and the
platform tools to supply a default for.

>But this is a long way
>off at our present work rate. We shouldn't think ahead too
>much.

I suspect there is some confusion here; I'm precisely suggesting that
we not invent a new, general wheel if we can address the real use
cases with a slight adjustment to something we already have (e.g. the
extras syntax).