[Distutils] zc.buildout - multiple 'cascading' buildout.cfg files

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Mon Jul 12 18:19:20 CEST 2010

Hello,
I'm wondering if there's a way to have something like "local"
buildout.cfg files overriding a "master" one; e.g.

if buildout.cfg is something like

[buildout]
parts = one
	two

[one]

[two]

I'd like to have something like buildout.cfg.local and insert something like

[one]
*****

And have the "one" section of buildout.cfg.local override what's set in
buildout.cfg, so that buildout acts like

[buildout]
parts = one
	two

[one]
*****

[two]

had been found.

This would be useful because in our projects we usually share one
per-project buildout.cfg which every team member uses and it's stored on
our VCS, and it's used all around including along our CI server, and we
don't want to change it if a real configuration change is unneeded, but
often I need to tinker with it (e.g. I want to use one additional
development egg, or change a dep, or run a different recipe).

Hence I'd like to have the chance to read a buildout.cfg.local - which I
could add into the ignore list of our VCS, be it svn, hg or whatever -
and leave the master buildout.cfg untouched.

Can I do it? If I can't right now, I'll be happy to code and submit a
patch. Any thoughts on what's the right approach? e.g. convention-based
naming (buildout.cfg.local.001 in the same dir as buildout.cfg, etc).

Thank you!

--
Alan Franzoni
contact me at public@[mysurname].eu