[Distutils] setup.py script using python interpreter from previous run

Geoff Bache geoff.bache at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:58:14 CET 2010

Hi all,

I have the following setup.py script:

#!/usr/bin/env python
from distutils.core import setup

scripts=["hello.py"]

setup(scripts=scripts)

I have two different python installations (using virtualenv) where I
wish to install this program. So I do

~/tmp/test_setup/python1/bin/python setup.py install

which creates a file at
/users/geoff/tmp/test_setup/python1/bin/hello.py, that looks like
this:

#!/users/geoff/tmp/test_setup/python1/bin/python

print "Hello"

So far so good. But then I also install it somewhere else:

~/tmp/test_setup/python2/bin/python setup.py install

which creates a file at
/users/geoff/tmp/test_setup/python2/bin/hello.py which refers to
"python1", i..e it has the same contents as the first one. Which is
clearly not what I want.

Is this a bug? Or have I missed something in my setup.py? It works of
course if I remove the generated "build" directory by hand, but it's
not so nice to have to remember to do that.

(I'm using Python2.6 on Linux)

Regards,
Geoff Bache