[Distutils] "buildout-versions" not showing pinned versions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 17:16:59 CEST 2011

On 16/08/2011 20:32, B.Nanda Kishore wrote:
> Actually I was installing a few distributions in my workplace. So some
> distros have
> version pinned in their setup.py install_requires section,

This is pretty evil. Why on earth are you doing this?
You should only ever place version limits in install_requires, and even
then, only if there are compatibility issues with a library a package
depends on.

eg: install_requries=['SomePackage < 2.0']

> and when I
> run the buildout
> expecting the versions to be printed,

For the third time, why are you expecting versions to be printed here?
You've pinned the version required, so buildout-versions won't report it
as unpinned...

> But tell me this. In the above example(pinning a version number in
> install_requires section of setup.py)
> expecting the version of the package to be printed is a valid usecase
> right ?

Wrong.

> Is it not ?

No, it is not.