[Distutils] easy_install installing beta version of psycopg2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:29:55 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17/02/2011 00:01, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it is fair to ask to stop listing the beta from the
>> homepage and the download page of the 2-pages website of the module:
>
> Indeed, but I think it's totally fair to expect users to pin to the version
> they require using whatever package management policy they choose.
>
> Of course, sure, it would be nice if easy_install had a sane default of
> installing only final releases, but what're the chances of PJE implementing
> that? ;-)
>
> What's the "distribute" take on this?

If someone wants to contribute a "--prefer-final" option to Distribute
--extracted from zc.buildout-- I am fine adding it, and even
activating this behavior by default, so people opt in to get the non
final releases.

I think it would be a good way to let the user control the behavior of
the installer better, and that's what zc.buildout wants to do next
AFAIK.

I cannot spend time on Distribute anymore because I am spending all my
free time on Distutils2 -- but contributions are welcome

Cheers
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org