[Distutils] Distribute without 2to3

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:03:20 CEST 2011

On 21 June 2011 13:42, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 13:30, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Lennart Regebro <regebro <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> We still need to support Python 2.4, right? That's a trickier issue.
> >> But including six.py might help.
> >
> > I'm not sure why 2.4 is a particular issue.
>
> It isn't. The big difference is between 2.5 and 2.6. But each
> additional version brings it's own incompatibilities.

Really? In my experience dropping 2.4 support allows you to use the with
statement (just as dropping 2.3 support allows you to use decorators) which
is a big change. I've found the 2.5-2.6 changes to be much less dramatic.

I have to jump through hoops a little bit to test context managers in a code
base that remains 2.4 compatible (you can *write* context managers and
remain 2.4 compatible - just not use them).

Michael

> > I just tested on 2.4.6 without any
> > failures. See
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/1037662
>
> That's positive but...
>
> > Of course, I'm assuming that "python setup.py test" gives adequate
> coverage.
>
> It doesn't. Far from it, unfortunately.
>
> //Lennart

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/