[Distutils] Dropping support for zipped installes in buildout.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Apr 28 21:18:02 CEST 2012

Buildout supports installing zipped eggs because setuptools does.

Most people find zipped eggs a pain and complain that buildout should
always unzip.

As part of my work to simplify buildout's implementation, I'm dropping
support for setuptools. This isn't because I don't appreciate
setuptools.  Setuptools made Python packaging really
work. Unfortunately, setuptools doesn't support Python 3 and life is
too short to try to support both distribute and setuptools.

Distribute doesn't support the zip_safe flag, so buildout can't
reliably support installing zipped eggs from source distruibution.
Given that and that (almost) no one likes zipped eggs anyway, I'm just
going to install everything unzipped.

Objections entertaining.

Jim

--