[Distutils] Installation

vikash agrawal vikashagrawal1990 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 07:02:13 CET 2012

hi Erik

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Erik Bray <erik.m.bray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM, vikash agrawal
> <vikashagrawal1990 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi Everyone,
> >
> > I am using Python 2.7, so how do I install pysetup. though when I install
> > distutils1.0a3 I do see distutils module in my interactive session but I
> > dont see any pysetup being installed
>
> That "release" is pretty old, and I'm not sure it even includes the
> pysetup script.  If you're going to be doing d2 development you're
> best off getting the latest source from hg:
> https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distutils2
>
> You should also make sure to get the latest cpython repo from
> http://hg.python.org/cpython to work on packaging.  Though I don't
> know exactly what the current policy is on merging from packaging to
> distutils2 or vice-versa, so I'm not the best person to comment on
> that.
>
> Erik

[...]

Ok, I will try installing it tonight from tarek's, and will let you know.
Also some time ago, I was trying to package it for Fedora 16 and I faced
similar problem with that, pysetup not getting installed.

Also @tarek, if possible Please update python-side for the package

And why do I need latest cython for distutils? I would be using 2.X and not
3.X
[...]

>  > Also, I had previously come in contact with merwok and I would be
> applying
> > in GSoC this year under PSF for distutils2 project (as I believe PSF
> will be
> > under GSoC and distutils will surely be accepted), so I am writing to
> seek
> > help on what all things should be my target, and how do I move ahead.
> > Currently, I am trying to work on the ]issue 12944 but due to certain
> > constraints things are not geared up, though I hope they would soon be :)
> > Please guide me and drop-in all your suggestions
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Vikash Agrawal
> > <Distutils-SIG at python.org>

[...]