[Distutils] Installation

Erik Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:11:01 CET 2012

Hi Vikash,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM, vikash agrawal
<vikashagrawal1990 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I will try installing it tonight from tarek's, and will let you know.
> Also some time ago, I was trying to package it for Fedora 16 and I faced
> similar problem with that, pysetup not getting installed.
>
> Also @tarek, if possible Please update python-side for the package
>
> And why do I need latest cython for distutils? I would be using 2.X and not
> 3.X

Distutils2 is included in Python 3 under the name 'packaging' which is
where, I believe, most of its development is focused.  The
"distutils2" name is used for the backport of packaging to Python 2.x
as well as Python 3.x prior to the availability of packaging in the
standard library.

Confused yet?  There are some historical reasons for all that, but the
main point is that if you're interested in working on distutils2, you
really want to up and running on the main Python development branch
and work on *packaging*.  I think that most of the work is being done
there, and then backported to distutils2.  This post Tarek made a
while back should help you get up and running:
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/help-us-ironing-packaging/

Erik