[Distutils] conventions or best practice to choose package names?

Piotr Ozarowski ozarow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 14:15:11 CEST 2012

[Benoît Bryon, 2012-06-27]
> http://hg.python.org/peps/file/52767ab7e140/pep-0423.txt

I think PEP 386 (about versions) should be mentioned in "Relationship
with other PEPs" section.

About "Use a single name" section: sometimes one needs to add "python-"
or "py" prefix to project name (f.e. if the name is already used in
other programming languages and you cannot register it in your favourite
forge hosting service)... but please don't add the prefix also in namespace.
All these PyQts, pyudevs, pygames and pyopencls sound stupid to me (isn't
it obvious that when I do `import foo` in Python, "foo" is a *Python*
library?)

About ".contrib.": flask uses flask.ext.foo (namespace) and Flask-Foo
(project name) schema for Flask extensions - maybe it's worth mentioning
in this PEP as well.