[Distutils] Need some advice on extending install_data

Robert Park rbpark at exolucere.ca
Sat May 12 22:16:59 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Robert Park <rbpark at exolucere.ca> wrote:
> So, I'm using distutils with some success lately, and I've borrowed
> some code that extends install_data to compile .po (translation) files
> into .mo files to be used by the system to display the translated
> strings. It looks like this:
> https://github.com/robru/gottengeography/blob/master/setup.py

Linking to the master blob was somewhat foolish as I've now come up
with a solution and the original email is now ambiguous. So, to
clarify, the problematic setup.py looked like this:

My solution involved ripping out all of the install_data overrides and
just directly executing what needed to be done. I'm not sure if this
is particularly elegant or correct, but it works. I can't possibly be
the only person alive who wants to use distutils to create
internationalized/localized RPMs, so I'd appreciate the community's
input on the correctness of my solution: